Note: Only dogs with current rabies vaccination on file with the Town Clerk’s Office can use the online renewal.
Why does New York State law require dogs to be licensed?
- NY State Law requires every dog over four months of age to be licensed annually by the local municipality in which they reside. The Town of Perinton issues dog licenses for residents in the Town of Perinton & the Village of Fairport, in accordance with Chapter 78 of the Town Code. Once a dog is licensed, the Town Clerk’s office will mail renewal notices each year.
- Dog Licensing ensures the dogs in our community are vaccinated against the rabies virus, and if there is an outbreak, dog owners in the licensing system can be made aware.
- Dog Licensing assists Animal Control in returning a lost dog back to its owners.
- If your dog is found and needs medical attention, license tags allow Animal Control to contact the owner to approve emergency care.
- If an unlicensed dog is picked up by Animal Control, it must be licensed before the Town can legally release the dog back to its owners. If this happens on a weekend, the dog cannot be released back to its owners until the Town Clerk’s Office opens on Monday, which could mean days before the dog is reunited with its owners.
- Dog licenses are mandatory for all dog parks.
Renewing/Obtaining a dog license
Online Renewal: For dogs with current rabies on file with the Town, for $1.80 convenience fee with Credit or Debit card, please CLICK HERE.
NOTE: ONLY USE THE LAST 4 DIGITS OF LICENSE NUMBER ON TAG – as referenced on renewal form
If the town does not have your dogs current rabies vaccination please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org, the clerks will then update your dogs license and you will then be able to click the link above to renew online.
In Person Renewal: Dog licenses can be renewed in person at the Town Clerks office located in the Town Hall at 1350 Turk Hill Rd. Please bring updated rabies vaccination and proof of spay/neuter if the operation has been done since last renewal.
Mail In Renewal: Please tear off the bottom portion of dog license renewal form, and send a check with the correct amount for renewal to the Town Clerks at 1350 Turk Hill Rd, Fairport N.Y. 14450.
New (first time) Dog Licenses can be obtained in person at the Town Clerk’s Office or by mail. Please mail or bring in Application for a new dog license to the clerks office.
Required Information to obtain a Dog License:
- Proof of current rabies vaccination*
- Proof of spay or neuter, if applicable*
- Name of Veterinary Office that administered rabies vaccination
- Name, address, phone number and e-mail address of dog owner
- Description of dog (breed, color, name & birth year)
- Payment of the appropriate fee
- Proof of age if 65 or older (for senior discount)
*returned to owner along with license document & permanent license tag.
Dog License Fees:
- Un-neutered or un-spayed dog $20
- Spayed/neutered dog $10
- Senior discount – $5 discount on above fees for any owner over 65 years of age
- Payment accepted in the form of cash, check or credit card. (Checks payable to the Town of Perinton)